I consume a lot of content. We all do. In one of my first college classes (COMM-100-Understanding Media), one of our assignments was to do a full 24-hour device detox and write a reflection on it. This is one of those assignments I actually did and committed myself to. Living in Washington, D.C. means that there are always things to do and I had friends in from out of town one weekend. That said, I left my phone at home and went to some of the museums and tried to “tune out” the media.
I couldn’t. Advertisements were everywhere. This was more than three years ago now and the media has only grown since then.
Since I can’t escape it, I try to be more deliberate and consume things that I find fulfilling. Every once in a while I’ll share what I’ve been reading, watching, and listening to and post it here.
What I’m reading:
- The entire Harry Potter series. I started reading these last summer for the first time (I know, I know). I love it but have progressed through them a little slower than expected. When I get busy, reading is the first thing to go. That said, I’m currently on Order of the Phoenix and I’ve made more time for this lately.
- Becoming by Michelle Obama. I read this book in its entirety on my flight to San Francisco last month. To say it’s a page-turner is an understatement. I’ve read a lot of memoirs by people I consider to be heroes of mine over the years and I think this is by far the best. I would recommend this book to literally everyone.
- You are a Badass by Jen Sincero. One of my best friends loaned me this book and I finished it within 24-hours. It’s a quick self-help book that encourages you to live to your fullest potential. That’s sort of the trope with all of them, but I gained a lot from this book. This is actually one of those things that pushed me to start the blog and pursuing some of the things I’m more passionate about. It was a quick read and paid off immediately.
What I’m watching:
- The Bachelor. This is my first season watching the show and I’m completely obsessed. I usually watch it the day after it airs on Hulu and somehow this activates the part of my brain that loves to be involved in other people’s messes.
- You. This is a Netflix original that I binged last weekend. Season 1 is 10 episodes long and I watched it all in one sitting. Not my proudest moment but I could not look away. It features John Stamos (my original celebrity crush) among others and it’s one hell of a story that is full of twists and turns. It’s not for the feint of heart and I’d strongly encourage you to not look up spoilers as you watch. This is one of the shows where I could actually say that exactly when I thought something was going to happen, something else happened.
- Dumplin’. Another Netflix original that I’m a little late to watch. I finally watched it just yesterday and I loved it. It’s about a plus-size, teenage daughter of a former beauty queen that protests the pageant life by joining a pageant. It’s full of self-love and body positivity and leaves you with a smile on your face at the end.
What I’m Listening To:
- thank u, next – Ariana Grande. The album dropped last week and it has been on loop practically nonstop since. I’m OBSESSED with this album and I do think it’s Ariana’s best so far. I’m going to see her show in Washington, D.C. in June and I’m pumped about it. I fully expect this to be on loop until then.
- Shawn Mendes. All of it. Another artist I’m quite literally obsessed with. I often joke about being an “original” fan from following him since his Vine days and I bring him up every chance I get. His discography is relatively short and it finds its way into most of my playlists. I’m going to see his show in August and I’m also super excited about this one.
- Kacey Musgraves. I’m lightyears late to the Kacey train. Some of my closest friends have been obsessed with her for a long time (for good reason). I had this selective bias against country music and put her off for a while. That said, after her Grammy wins last week I went deep down the rabbit hole and still haven’t come up.
I’m always looking for new things to watch, read, and listen to. Reading-wise my focus is on the Harry Potter series but everything else is up in the air. I’m looking to work Podcasts into my listening routine more. When I had a commute by car during the 2016 election I listened often, but it sort of fell off. I usually only listen to Podcasts when I’m traveling long-distance by car alone (hey, it makes you feel like you’re not alone). I’ve also started 3 Wives, 1 Husband on Netflix and think it’s absolutely insane.
Life has gotten a little busier lately, but I’m still always looking for suggestions. Feel free to leave one (or many) in a comment and I’ll check it out!
Sign Up For Updates
Join the mailing list to receive a weekly update of happenings from the blog + a little extra something. Your information will never be sold, it’s a promise.